This awesomeness should be accompanied with what we call a “Tinto de Verano”, in English it stands for “summer red wine”. It’s a wine based similar to sangria, but simpler. Made of 1 part of red wine, a pinch of lemon juice, and ¼ cup of club soda (hmm this will squelch your thirst!) and BON APETIT!!!
Friday, September 3, 2010
Rustic Italian Friday!
...Julia started cooking at age 32, I started cooking at age 12...
To me where you eat, is as much important as what you eat...
My boyfriend is cooking today (yay!), we have attempted to couch and watch movies (a little low key to start the weekend). With bubbly in hand and my personal chef (boyfriend) by my side, I will share his extraordinary thin crust rustic pizza recipe. Its not and ordinary round pizza that a random guy delivers at your door...watch and learn...its divine!
- ¾ cup of warm water
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- ½ tsp of salt
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
1/2 a cup of marinara sauce
1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
1 tbsp of melted butter
2 tbsp of Parmigiano Reggiano
½ small onion (sliced)
1 cup of spinach (whole)
Prosciutto di Parma (optional)
1/2 tsp of garlic salt
Method for Dough:
1. 1. In a medium bowl, add warm water, sugar, 1 envelope of dry yeast and let it stand for aprox. 3 minutes. While it stands, mix all-purpose flour with salt. After 3 minutes, combine both. Using your hands start working the dough inside out. After “playing” with the dough for 5 minutes, add olive oil to a small bowl, and put dough inside. Place a moist kitchen towel on top of the bowl and let it stand for 30 minutes on the sun (fact: when you place the dough directly under the sun, the yeast will increase the gases inside the dough twice faster).
2. 2. When dough doubles its size, molded again to its original size. Add flour to a flat surface and roll it into any shape you want (fun fact: pizza doesn’t have to be round to be AWESOME), but must be ¼ of an inch thick.
To create the pizza:
1. 1. Mix melted butter with Parmigiano cheese and brush the entire dough with it. (Leave some for the crust, while the pizza half way from cooking).
2. 2. Preheat oven at 375 degrees
3. 3. Spread 1 cup of shredded mozzarella evenly followed by the sliced onion
4. 4. When the oven is set place , place the pizza for aprox 15 minutes (notice: the smell will warn you that the pizza is on its way, when you get to the 6 minute mark, brush the exposed crust with the remaining butter with the Parmigiano Regianno cheese.)
5. 5. After 15 minutes have past by, take the pizza out of the oven, let it rest for 1 minute. Sprinkle the garlic salt evenly. Add prosciutto di Parma slices and spinach.
Cheers for the week-end!